While I've toned down on obsessing with it over the last 4-5 years (e.g. not jumping with joy about Beta/leaked drivers like I used to), some things are hard to let go of.
My new Nokia 6111 phone is a total treat. It was so cheap (approx $350 through Employee Purchase=$35 each month for approx 10 months).
Bluetooth, large screen, smaller than any phone I've ever owned, and a cute little 1 megapixel camera are just some of the things I like about it (most importantly the IrDA actually works! Thank god I didn't chuck out my dongle).
As with any tech, I start turning things off, getting rid of default settings and simplifying things. Eventually, I want to pull it apart and modify it in some kind of way. In the case of this Nokia 6111, it's the interface.
Maybe because I'm obsessed with my iPod, I want simplification on my phone too: the UI on the Nokia is FOUL. Totally hopeless and takes up far too much screen real estate.
I've learned that the .nth files this phone uses on its Symbian OS are just like PK3 and PK4 archives for Quake3 and Quake4. i.e. simply open with a decent compression program (Winzip, WinRAR), check the directory structure, file formats and image sizes, plus any code included, and edit to your hearts content.
I'm aiming for my own Nokia 6111 iPod theme over the next few days. Pics forthcoming!
No comments:
Post a Comment